The Crewel Work Company
Historic British Needlework from Phillipa Turnbull
This kit will teach you the four essential embroidery stitches that will equip you to create any classic crewel work design.
I have created this kit with newcomers to crewel embroidery in mind but have enjoyed it so much myself that I am now creating my fourth Tumbling Feathers cushion for my own sitting room. The design, colours and stitches are all true to the late-Victorian/Arts & Crafts era when ostrich feathers were all the rage!
Linen size 20 x 17 1/2"
Design size 13 x 12"
Stitches: Crewel Stem, French Knots, Laid and Couched Work and a really clear and easy Long and Short as 'soft shading' in soft pastel shades
Level one: Beginner
What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate 'Z' twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for us, accurately screen-printed with the design outline and stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools
- Easy-to-follow, detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Detailed, full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, 'The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work', including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- One each of our bespoke gold-plated and polished nickel crewel needles
Finishing materials not included.