Aurifil - 12wt Thread
Aurifil 12 wt thread is ideal for hand quilting, big stitch hand quilting and machine quilting. 12 weight thread creates a more defined and often primitive look. It's great for designs that use a longer stitch length if using a machine. When machine quilting with 12 wt thread, use 40 wt in the bobbin, increase your stitch length, lower your tension, use Topstitch size 90 needles and stitch slowly.
- Hand Appliqué: Use 12wt for hand appliqué, Buttonhole stitch for a primitive look and for Blanket Stitch appliqué.
- Hand Embroidery: Used as a replacement for stranded & pearl embroidery threads for the stitchery blocks.
- Hand quilting: Achieve beautiful results using the ‘Big Stitch’ or ‘Utility Stitch’ with a larger eyelet needle and for Sashiko type work
- Cross Stitch: 12wt is suitable for Backstitching or Cross-stitching in 1 strand, giving more definition to your work.
- Embellishment: Use 12wt to add embroidery stitches as embellishment on a quilt surface.
- Lace: Great for use on Bobbin Lace Gimp
- Machine Appliqué: Use 12wt for a heavy Blanket Stitch or for a primitive look use a Buttonhole Stitch. (Use 50wt in the bobbin)
- Machine embroidery: 12wt is beautiful for designs that use a longer stitch length. Use a Top Stitch 100/16 needle.
- Machine Quilting: Superb for art quilting when heavier thread effects are desired . Beautiful on linen and denim fabric . Use a 90/14 topstitch needle.
- Machine Sashiko: Achieve great results using 12wt for Machine Sashiko
- Redwork: 12wt is perfect for Red-work and Stitchery
- Serging: Lower Looper
- Longarm Quilting: Beautiful effect, quilt slowly, large needle (4.5), adjust thread path for less resistance, use silicone when necessary, pair with 28wt bobbin thread. Good for art quilting when heavier thread effects are desired